Friday 15 February 2013

Video footage


During my last trip to Alp d'Huez, my mate took his video camera and got a lot of footage, it is one of the contour models and some of the edited footage can be seen below:



I think the things I've realised having got back from the holiday and scoured hours and hours of footage are:

1) Shots of people in the distance aren't a lot of use, always try and film close up. Some of the best footage was taken riding right along side the other person.

2) For snowboarding, the best mount for the camera has proven to be the helmet mount. Mounting on a board didn't really work as most of the time the board is going back and forth. Hand-holding doesn't really work as you move your arms so much to keep your balance (though when stationary just filming someone coming over a jump etc. then hand holding is possibly better as it doesn't pick up every single head movement), reverse helmet mount doesn't really work either.

3) We have an awful lot of footage of my mate zooming off on his board with nobody in the frame - instead the camera man should probably aim to always stay behind everybody else and keep them in the frame, it's just more interesting!

4) The other thing we often did was my mate would pull up and wait for us to catch him up - we would slide up and stop next to him, far better would be for us to zoom straight past him and give him some footage then wait for him slightly further down the slope.

5) Though we never took one with us, another good mounting position I think is the pole-mount so you hold the camera at a distance and it is pointing back at you. This keeps the rider quite central in the frame whilst capturing great movement. (I will be taking my pole mount next time)


No comments:

Post a Comment