Saturday 25 July 2009

Another slope!

Whilst visiting my girlfriend in Scotland this weekend we paid a 2-hour visit to the Xscape snow dome in Braehead, Glasgow - this was my first experience of a different slope in the UK and I was pleasantly surprised!

The boards & boots I have to say weren't great, not as good as those at my local snowdome (Tamworth), but the slope itself was WAY better. It was considerably wider for a start, probably about the same length but without the corner that Tamworth has near the top. However, what really stood out was the quality of the snow, it was a lot more like riding on a proper mountain - as opposed to Tamworth which was often very icy.
Also, because of the extra width, the slope had a few things on it instead of just being a straight run - it had a rail/box affair near the top, a kicker (jump) half way down & another rail setup further down. It also had... a button lift!

Just to explain, Tamworth has 2 methods of getting you up the slope, either the travellator which is just what it sounds, you stand on it and get carried to the top. Or the alternative is a rope pull, which you just hold onto and it pulls you up the slope.

Glasgow Xscape by contrast had a button lift, which is like a metal pole with a large button-shaped piece on the bottom, designed perfectly for skiers to stick between their legs and be pulled up the slope. Snowboarders on the other hand ride sideways on making it a little more difficult to use this type of lift. I'd already read up about them but was a little unclear still, until I got there and had a go, it was basically simple, you face sideways, stick the pole between your legs (it has a bend in it to go round your front leg) and off you go, dragged up the slope. I never fell off once!

Obviously I was on hire equipment so back to beginner boards so more forgiving than my new board, I soon got up to speed after a little adjustment to my bindings. Then in the 2nd half of the session I decided to go for it on the kicker (jump) - it was a little higher than the one at Tamworth I'd already done but c'est la vie.

My first 3 attempts all ended in failure, not too bad though as I just fell upon landing in a controlled manner, but I was determined and kept at it and finally landed it - I think 4 times in a row. Only then did one of the instructors on the slope come over and tell me I wasn't allowed on it without a helmet! Never mind, the session was at an end and I was very happy with landing the kicker so we called it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment